The ingredients are simple, so the dish really relies on using the best quality, juiciest tomatoes you can find. This tasty salad can be served as a side dish or add some toasted pine nuts and warm ciabatta for the perfect summer meal.
500 g mixed ripe tomatoes (as many different colours, sizes and varieties as you can find)
Cracked black pepper
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
10 basil leaves, torn
Few chives, chopped
- Chop the tomatoes into halves, quarters or chunks depending on their size and place them in a colander. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of sea salt and leave for 20-30 minutes to draw out some of the moisture and intensify the tomato flavour.
- Rinse the tomatoes under a cold tap and dry on kitchen paper.
- Place the tomatoes into a bowl or onto a plate and add the chives and basil.
- Mix together the oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, black pepper and chilli flakes to make a dressing.
- Dress the tomatoes and serve as a delicious accompaniment to your meal.
The key to a tasty salad is letting it sit at room temperature before serving, which gives it the chance to draw out the juices and flavours.
To make the salad more of a meal you could also add crumbled feta or burrata.
Serves 2 as a side dish.