Keen to find out exactly what goes into a Chelsea Flower Show garden? Read on to discover the seeds we've planted to spread the importance of donkeys around the world.
Annie Prebensen and Christina Williams trained at the English Garden School in London and set up their design practice in 2008. In 2010 they won a Gold Medal and Best in Show at Chelsea for an Artisan Garden celebrating Devon’s Two Moors Festival.
They work to create beautiful, practical gardens for clients and their families.
“We have a real fondness and appreciation for these gentle, hardworking animals, so were delighted to be asked by The Donkey Sanctuary to design an Artisan Garden to explain ‘why donkeys matter’.”
Contractor: Frogheath Landscapes
Plants grown by: How Green Nursery
Ceramic lizards: Annabel Hatton
Artistic impression of the garden: Victoria MacDermott
Watch an exclusive interview with our designers and discover the story behind the 'Donkeys Matter' garden
- Nepeta x fassenii 'Purrsian Blue'
- Geranium x magnificum
- Salvia nemerosa 'Maynight'
- Geranium 'Patricia'
- Dianthus carthusianorum
- Knautia macedonica
- Eryngium bourgatii 'Picos Blue' (for foliage)
- Eryngium x zabelii 'Big Blue' (for foliage)
- Foeniculum vulgare 'Giant Bronze' or purpureum (for foliage)
- Lychnis 'Hill Grounds'
- Sisyrinchium 'E K Balls'
- Stachys byzantina 'Silver Carpet' (for foliage)
- Rosa glauca (for foliage)
- Santolina 'E A Bowles' (for foliage)
- Lavendula angustifolia 'Hidcote'
- Artemisia 'Powis Castle'
- Salvia officinalis 'Purpurea'
- Either Lavendula angustifolia (British grown) or step-over Vitis vinifera
- Artemisia stelleriana 'Boughton Silver'
- Erigeron karvinskianus
- Alchemilla erythropoda
- Acaena microphylla 'Copper Carpet'
Bulbs, corms and rhizomes
- Allium 'Miami'
- Iris germanica
- Gladiolus byzantinus
- Stipa lessingiana
- Stipa gigantea
- Pinus parviflora 'Glauca'
- Cupressus sempervirens
- Ficus carica (grown as a wall shrub)
High arid region
- Asphodeline lutea
- Eryngium bourgatii
- Euphorbia eg wulfenii
- Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Chip'
- Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead'
- Pittosporum tobira
* Correct at time of publishing.
Read Samuna's story
"My donkey is my strength" - discover the importance of Samuna's donkeys to delivering water for her community.