Almost 60% of the councils in the UK, with donkeys under their jurisdiction, have included The Donkey Sanctuary's identification scheme in their annual re-licensing system.
This scheme was established in 1991 when the Sanctuary recognised there was a weakness in the re-licensing system. This allowed some donkeys, which had never been seen by a veterinary surgeon, to be worked on the beaches.
Identification of each donkey at the time of re-licensing is provided by a painless hoof brand marking an identification number or by micro-chipping the donkey. This identification is only given once the donkey has been passed fit to work by the veterinary surgeon and looked over by one of our welfare officers.
A combination of the annual re-licensing system and this identification scheme:
- Ensures and promotes fit and healthy working beach donkeys.
- Enables easy identification.
- Builds excellent working relationships between The Donkey Sanctuary, the beach donkey operators and the councils.
- Reassures the public of the high standard of donkey care given by the beach operators and the commitment of the local councils toward the welfare of donkeys and the safety of the riders.
- Often attracts positive media coverage.