The Donkey Sanctuary is the leading charity championing donkey welfare across the globe. In addition to over 4,000 neglected, abandoned and relinquished donkeys we care for across the UK, our donkey education and intervention programmes run in over 35 countries, covering six continents.
We are exceptionally grateful for the amazing support we receive from individuals and trusts who are able to make a significant gift of £1,000 or more. Our major donors and trusts play a vital and growing role in getting us closer to our vision of a world where donkeys and mules live free from suffering and their contribution to humanity is fully valued.
The diversity and far reaching impact of our work often surprises people.
- We strive to make a lasting difference to donkeys by providing sanctuary for donkeys who can no longer be cared for by their owners, rescuing donkeys in desperate need and providing relief from suffering with hands-on care.
- We influence decision makers to champion the welfare, importance and interests of donkeys, particularly across the developing world.
- We share our world-leading research and knowledge with owners, harness-makers and veterinarians, helping them develop and deliver donkey care best practice across the world.
- Our work brings huge benefit to donkey-reliant communities, helping them to survive poverty. Freeing women and children to enjoy education, paid work and lead better lives.
- Our donkeys at home also give back. Our specialist donkey’s innate emotional intelligence brings joy and relief to thousands of vulnerable people young and old every year, nurturing positive behaviours and boosting emotional wellbeing.
Getting involved and experiencing the difference your major gift makes
Over the last 50 years we have had much success, but we are ambitious to do better. Our five-year ambition outlines our plan to boost our impact. We are inviting major donors and trusts to be at the heart of this.
Individuals and Trusts who make significant donations are essential to ensuring we meet our ambitions to take our work to a new level across the globe.
We are supported by animal lovers wanting to protect donkeys from cruelty and pain, individuals and trusts interested in empowering women and children in poor communities and others that are keen to support our pioneering donkey science.
As a major supporter you will be close to our work and:
Be connected to the work you feel most passionate about. Whether you want your gift to help fund one of our major programmes, distinct projects or support our work in general, we’ll help you find a project or area of our work that resonates with you, matched to your particular concerns and interests.
Enjoy bespoke support. We pride ourselves on providing personalised support to those committing to us on a significant level. Our small but dedicated team will ensure you have a meaningful connection with our charity. That you are involved in the way that works for you and that you enjoy your support.
Share our progress. We’ll regularly report on what your gift is achieving, as well as general news.
Experience the difference you make. We'll give you opportunities to visit the donkeys and work that you're supporting, so that you can see the impact you're making first hand.
Enjoy our events. We'll invite you to exclusive events to connect with our work and other, like-minded supporters.
Get in touch
We’d love to talk to you about how we can ensure your donation makes a real difference to donkeys in need and some of the world’s most vulnerable people. Just get in touch with Hannah Roberts, Philanthropy (Trusts and Major Gifts) Team Manager, on 01395 573120 or send an email.