This Responsible Gambling Policy details how The Donkey Sanctuary identifies and signposts customers to guidance and support when their gambling has become a problem.
The Donkey Sanctuary and its staff will take reasonable steps to identify customers who may be experiencing difficulties with gambling behaviour and signpost them to appropriate guidance and support.
While the majority of people do gamble within their means, for some gambling can become a problem. To help customers to keep control of their gambling and recognise when it has become a problem The Donkey Sanctuary will provide information on its lottery communications to highlight that they should:
- See gambling as entertaining and not as a way of making money
- Avoid chasing losses
- Only gamble what you can afford to lose
- Keep track of the time and amount you spend gambling
- Read the game rules
- Know that professional help is available.
If a customer contacts The Donkey Sanctuary and is concerned that gambling may have taken over their (or someone else's) life then the following prompts will be used by staff to help them identify problem gambling:
- Do you stay away from work to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- When gambling and you run out of money, do you feel lost and in despair and need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone, even the fare home or the cost of a cup of tea?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount of money or time you have spent gambling?
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or hobbies?
- After losing, do you feel you must try and win back your losses as soon as possible?
- Do arguments, frustrations or disappointments make you want to gamble?
- Is your mental health being affected because of your gambling?
Where a customer answers 'yes' to one or more of these questions they may have a gambling problem and will be advised that if they wish to speak to someone about it they should contact the National Gambling confidential helpline on 0808 8020 133 or visit the GambleAware website for further information.
When The Donkey Sanctuary or any of its staff receive communication from an individual who wishes to be self-excluded they will direct them to the Lottery Exclusion Form available online at win.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk, or the Lottery helpline on 0330 123 9820.
Alternatively and upon request, we can send a Lottery Exclusion Form in the post.
Once the individual has completed and submitted (or returned) the Lottery Self-Exclusion Form, the individual’s details will be entered onto the self-exclusion register.