Fostering donkeys and mules is one of the most amazing things you can do to help us
Can you offer a new home?
Buttons and Wiliam
Experience the magic of rehoming donkeys
Loving homes wanted
Our foster scheme finds loving homes for donkeys in our care who would benefit from the kind of one-to-one attention private homes can provide. Donkeys are carefully matched with prospective homes to ensure a happy future for both donkeys and foster owners.
Fostering donkeys is one of the most amazing things you can do to help us both financially and in terms of freeing up our staff to provide more specialist care to donkeys that need it most.
The funny thing about donkeys is they always make people happy.
Our foster owners often tell us how much fun it is to give a loving home to these fantastic animals. The great thing is that our foster donkeys and mules love it too.
Share your love
We generally ask our foster homes to provide:
- Approximately 0.5 acre (2000 square metres) of suitable and safe grazing and/or turnout land is recommended for each donkey.
- An area of hard-standing - donkeys' feet are really porous so they need to be able to get off the grass when it's wet
Access to shelter or stable - donkeys don’t have waterproof coats like horses. This will also provide shade from the sun on summer days.
- Robust fencing - donkeys can be great escape artists!
Don’t worry if you haven’t got any or all of these in place yet - our welfare advisers will be able to advise you.
Unfortunately we cannot provide donkeys as companions to horses or ponies. In circumstances where horses and/or ponies are being cared for at the same premises, it is important that these are separately managed and housed.
If you feel you would like to know more about our rehoming scheme, please contact us on 01395 578222.
- The Donkey Sanctuary is an international animal welfare charity and aims to protect donkeys and mules and promote their welfare worldwide.
- 29 project countries including the United Kingdom, Cyprus, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Mexico and Spain.
- 15,500 donkeys and mules provided with a sanctuary for life over the last 40 years.
- 5,072 donkeys and mules currently in care at Sanctuaries and foster homes in the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe.
- 28 overseas mobile teams and 4 overseas clinics working to alleviate the suffering of sick or injured donkeys.
- Hundreds of thousands of treatments given to hard working donkeys overseas every year.
- Centre of excellence on the care and welfare of donkeys and mules.