This homebaked pizza recipe will make four 8" pizzas using staple ingredients from your kitchen cupboard.
For the dough:
500g strong plain flour or 00 flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried yeast
400 ml lukewarm water
For the topping:
250 g tomato passata, mixed with a little tomato puree and/or pesto
150 g grated cheese (or torn mozzarella)
Additional toppings of your choice, eg ham, pepperoni, peppers, mushrooms, onions, courgettes, olives, herbs, etc
- Sprinkle yeast into water and stir. Leave for 5 minutes until bubbles begin to appear.
- Sieve flour into a bowl and add the salt.
- Pour water/yeast into the flour and mix together to form the dough.
- Tip onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes by hand or 6 minutes in a food mixer with a dough hook.
- Place in a large oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour (or in the fridge overnight) until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough on a floured surface and cut into 4 equal portions.
- Cover while preparing your toppings.
- Preheat the oven to 230C/gas mark 7-8.
- Stretch or roll the pizza dough and place it on a baking tray before spreading with the tomato sauce and your choice of toppings.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 12-15 minutes.
Makes four 8" pizzas.