If you have flour in the cupboard, these tortillas are a great alternative to bread. Fill them with your favourite sandwich filling for lunch, alternatively fill them with chilli and cover with cheese, before baking in the oven and enjoying delicious Mexican enchiladas for dinner.
400 g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
300 ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp oil
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- In a measuring jug, mix the lukewarm water and oil together, then add this to the flour.
- Stir together until all the ingredients are well combined and form a dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls and roll each one out individually. Aim for each tortilla to be a similar size to a dinner plate, the dough will shrink back a bit when it is resting.
- In a large frying pan, warm a teaspoon of oil and cook each tortilla for 1 minute each side on a medium heat. Each side should just start to brown on any raised areas.
- Add your choice of filling and enjoy.
Makes 8 tortillas.