The perfect accompaniment to your festive cheeseboard, this delicious chutney is quick and easy to make, and with plenty to go around, you could also give away as homemade Christmas gifts.
4 tbsp veg oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
100 g piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
15 cardamom pods, bashed open
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cumin seed
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 kg butternut squash, diced
3 bramley apples, diced
1 tsp ground turmeric
500 g light soft brown sugar
300 ml cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large preserving pan and fry the onions, ginger, chilli, cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, squash and apples and cook for 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the turmeric and sugar, before simmering for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar and season with two teaspoons of salt, then bring the chutney back to a simmer.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal.
The chutney can be eaten straight away or stored in an air-tight container in a cool dark place for up to six months.
Makes approximately 2kg chutney.