Make the most of English asparagus right now with delicious recipes like this. Combined with cheese and a buttery filo crust, this dish is sure to be a hit at your dinner table.
8 filo pastry sheets
200 g asparagus, woody ends removed
120 g ricotta cheese
25 g grated Parmesan
25 g Red Leicester, grated
1 red onion, sliced into rings
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 free range egg
½ lemon, zest and juice
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas mark 4-5.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Stack filo sheets onto the tray, brushing olive oil over each sheet as you layer them.
- Combine the ricotta, egg, grated Parmesan, lemon juice and garlic. Season and spread over the pastry leaving a 2cm gap at the edges.
- Evenly spread the asparagus over the top, sprinkle the red onion over, top with Red Leicester and then fold the edges in.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm sprinkled with lemon zest, Parmesan shavings, chopped chives and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
English asparagus has a fairly short season from late April until mid June, so make the most of its availability in your local greengrocers or farm shops right now to make delicious recipes like this.
Replace the Parmesan and Red Leicester with your favourite delicious local cheeses - Field and Flower sell fantastic local produce delivered to your door, which helps support small independent growers, farmers and producers.