21 years ago Elisabeth Svendsen wrote about her passion For the love of donkeys and here at the Sanctuary we carry on with the love of her life... helping donkeys where they come first, second and third.
That passion drives us to share our love of donkeys. So much so, that we are always looking for ways to touch your hearts.
With Valentine's Day approaching, we would like to share our love by giving you a chance to own this pair of cushions hand-made by Sophie Carter, one of our grooms at Town Barton Farm which is home to 302 donkeys and mules.
"Every day my heart is filled to the brim with the love and compassion that donkeys show towards me. I see all the donkeys I have ever known when I look at The Donkey Sanctuary logo. It makes me smile and feel so happy, so I thought why not put it on a cushion, which you can snuggle up to just like you would a donkey!"
Sophie's love of donkeys runs deep and last year she made some of the eldery donkeys at Town Barton Farm warm snoods to wear.
Inspired by donkeys, these two very special limited edition cushions measure approximately 15" x 15" (38cm x 38cm) each branded with the Sanctuary's logo depicting love.
One cushion is hessian covered with cream wool back, while the other is of cotton front with a soft and cuddly fleece, similar in pattern to Madonna's snood in shaded of brown.
If you would like a chance to own these adorable cushions to help us love the 493 additional donkeys that came into our care in 2013, all we ask is that you make a donation.
Any donation however small helps us to care for the donkeys.
Add your name and contact details when you make your donation, and we will add your name to the prize draw.
The winner's name will be randomly picked on St Valentine's Day, Friday 14 February 2014 at 2.30pm.
We have a winner
We are delighted to announce that Brenda Briggs has won these adorable cushions.
In total you have helped us raise £748.63 which will help cover the cost of looking after 124 donkeys for 10 days here at the Sanctuary.
Thank you from all our hearts.
- The Donkey Sanctuary is an international animal welfare charity and aims to protect donkeys and mules and promote their welfare worldwide.
- 29 project countries including the United Kingdom, Cyprus, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Mexico and Spain.
- 14,500 donkeys and mules provided with a sanctuary for life over the last 40 years.
- 5,072 donkeys and mules currently in care at Sanctuaries and foster homes in the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe.
- 28 overseas mobile teams and 4 overseas clinics working to alleviate the suffering of sick or injured donkeys.
- 400,000 overseas treatments given to working donkeys each year.
- Centre of excellence on the care and welfare of donkeys and mules.