We need 240,000 5p pieces - that’s £12,000 - to pay for a recovery room in our new donkey hospital. Get everyone involved and collect your spare 5p pieces and help poorly donkeys to get better.
Why donkeys need a recovery room
Donkey Sanctuary vet Anna Harrison tells us why a donkey recovery room is so important:
"Unlike humans, who are lying down in a bed before a general anaesthetic, and dogs and cats who can be supported by a vet nurse, donkeys will rarely lie down to order! Therefore we have to give them an anaesthetic injection while they’re standing up. For this reason it’s crucial that they’re safe as they fall asleep and sink to the floor. A recovery room is a padded room - floor, walls and door - to keep the donkey safe from harm as he/she falls asleep and wakes up after the surgery. It’s natural for a donkey to try and get up as soon as possible and the first few efforts may be a bit shaky, meaning the donkey may stagger around. The padding has to be hard wearing and easy to clean and disinfect. The recovery room is essential for donkeys and mules undergoing surgery."
How to help
To help us raise our £12,000 target, here's what you can do:
- Find an old jar or bottle and start collecting!
- Dig down the back of your sofa, investigate your washing machine and rummage through your spare change.
- The 5p is a fiddly little coin that people often hate, so why not ask your friends and relatives if they would like to donate their 5ps (or any other loose change) too? We can send you a home collection box, just get in touch!
- Download a poster to advertise your collection.
- Get your social group, club or sports team involved.
- Take a collecting jar to work and ask your colleagues to help.
- Schools, nurseries and businesses - join in!
Sign up to the 5p Challenge
Do something amazing for sick donkeys and mules.
Haven’t got time to collect?
Then simply donate a virtual gift of 5ps via our JustGiving fundraising page.
Ready to donate?
Choose from one of the following options:
- To pay your donation by cheque, complete the Donation Form included in the Fundraising Pack and send a cheque made payable to:
The Donkey Sanctuary (5p Challenge)
Freepost Plus RSUL-LKLX-GKXZ
PO Box 85
Devon EX10 1BR
- You can make your donation online via our JustGiving fundraising page
- You can call The Donkey Sanctuary Supporter Services Team on 01395 579128 and make your donation by debit or credit card. Remember to include your name, contact details and quote reference '5p Challenge’ so that we can get in touch to say a big thank you!
Any money raised over our target of £12,000 will be spent on building the hospital and future veterinary costs.
For more help and information, contact the Community Fundraising Team on 01395 573007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org