The Donkey Sanctuary’s annual Memorial Day is taking place on Saturday, 2 October 2021. The memorial walks will be open to visitors, and the service will be broadcast online here at 10.30am.
We hold our annual Memorial Day service on or near the feast of St Francis of Assisi, the Patron Saint of Animals. During this day, we remember those people and pets whose names are inscribed on plaques and memory walls/boards around the sanctuary.
This year people are welcome to attend our Sidmouth sanctuary and visit the memorial walks. We will be putting the flowers out ready for Saturday 2 October.
The annual Memorial Day service will be broadcast online at 10.30am on Saturday, 2 October 2021.
Watch the service
You will be able to watch the service above from 10:30am on Saturday 2 October.
Order of service:
- An introduction from Marianne Steele, Acting CEO
- An introduction and prayers from The Reverend Stephen Knight
- Poem reading by Christine Purdy, The Donkey Sanctuary Trustee
- Bible reading by The Reverend Stephen Knight
- Poem reading by Rosemary Gillespie, The Donkey Sanctuary Trustee
- Address and blessings by The Reverend Stephen Knight
- Donkey updates from Maxine Carter, Slade House Farm Manager
- Thank you from Marianne Steele, Acting CEO
Personal invitations are sent out each summer to families who have a connection to a plaque, tree or the Field of Dreams fund with details of the service. If you have not received an invitation and would like more information regarding Memorial Day please contact us. Details of flower selection and how to order them are also sent out with the annual invitations.
How do I watch the service online?
This year's service will be available to watch on this page from 10.30am on Saturday, 2 October 2021.
Will I be able to rewatch the service?
You'll be able to catch up on anything you miss on this page from 10.30am on Saturday, 2 October 2021 onwards.