An annual event to celebrate the amazing life of The Donkey Sanctuary's Founder, Dr Elisabeth Svendsen MBE.
You are cordially invited to attend our Founder’s Day on Saturday 29th March 2014, from 11am until 3pm here at The Donkey Sanctuary to celebrate the life of Dr Elisabeth Svendsen MBE and her dedication to donkeys and mules.
We will hold a short service to commemorate the memory of Dr Svendsen at this new event, which is to be held annually.
Activities will include special guided tours and a photographic exhibition of her and her work.
The day will be to remember the world’s most dedicated champion of donkeys and mules. We will also launch a new Donkey Sanctuary project with any donations received on Founder’s Day.
Although there is no need to book, it would help us if you could please let our Events team know if you are coming, so that we have an idea of numbers on the day. Contact us on 01395 578222 or email events@ thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk
Programme of events
- 11.00am - Welcome talk by Dawn Vincent, granddaughter of Dr Elisabeth Svendsen MBE in the Slade Centre.
- 11.20am - A riding therapy display to music at the Slade Centre.
- 1.30pm - Repeat Welcome talk by Dawn Vincent, granddaughter of Dr Elisabeth Svendsen MBE in the Slade Centre.
- 2.45pm - Blessing of Dr Svendsen’s Relief and a short service from Reverend Stephen Knight at Main Yard.
- 3.00pm - Closing speech by David Cook, Chief Executive of The Donkey Sanctuary at Main Yard.
If you can't join us on Founder's Day, why not share your wishes, memories and dreams and we’ll add them to Mother’s Tree, here at the heart of The Donkey Sanctuary.
To mark the occasion we are also introducing a new appeal to help convert one of our large barns at Trow Farm, Sidmouth, into new donkey housing. Our farms and Sanctuaries are close to capacity with almost 900 donkeys rescued across Europe in the last year alone.
We urgently need space to provide sanctuary from suffering for these new members of our family, can you help?
For a suggested donation of £3 share your dreams, wishes and memories with us and we will add them to ‘Mother’s Tree’ at The Donkey Sanctuary, Sidmouth.